An Actor Repairs

Thursday, December 21, 2006

What I did on my Birthday.

Having set the granite counter top the day before, I bolted a masonry blade onto my circular saw, duct-taped a vacuum hose onto it’s dust port, taped off the granite countertop to protect it from the plate of the saw, and got a squirt bottle of water at the ready. I then spent 45 minutes sinking a saw blade into the kerf left by the granite factory, trying to cut through the remaining half inch. This kicked up dust, smoke, sound and fury in equal measures. Having demolished a blade, I went to the store for two more. Returning, I spent another 45 minutes before all but a few spots held the sink cut out in place. Taking a cold chisel and an hammer, I began striking at the underside of the granite where the remaining structure held tight. At long last it broke away and fell an eighth of an inch, landing onto a cradle I had constructed for just that occasion.

I then bolted screwed and fastened all the faucet accoutrement onto the sink and devised a two stage landing in order for one skinny man (me) to lift a cast iron sink into place without breaking the stone countertop. I enjoyed reading the WARNING! YOUR CAST IRON SINK IS EXTREMELY HEAVY! GET HELP TO LIFT IT INTO PLACE! And devising ways around the unmanly and humiliating prospect of asking for assistance.

It worked. I then hooked up the water lines, tested them and showered in anticipation of dinner and a show in celebration of my 39th birthday.

The dinner was Thai, (quite good), the show was Jaques Brell Is Alive And Well And Living In Paris, which I was introduced to at an early age and have loved all this time. The show was well done and it was a delight to revisit this exquisite music and share it with my wife who had never encountered it before.

My birthday was dusty, smelly, arduous, challenging, frustrating, rewarding, comforting, sensuous, exhilarating, touching, joyous and completely exhausting. Just as it should be. Thanks to all you well-wishers, and can you imagine!? Next year I’ll be thirty-nine!!! Ahhhrrrg.

2 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I asked! But glad you
had some fun after all that.
Are you crazy??

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Fox said...

It’s a compulsion, or a mild mania, I’m quite sure of that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home