An Actor Repairs

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Countertops!

Ahhh. Granite. There have been wild ups and downs the last few weeks with respect to the remodeling but today was a bright spot on many levels.



My friend Tony and I borrowed a van from my old business partner and drove to NJ to pick up the countertop. I had built a little A-frame out of left over sticks of wood and had a couple of strap clamps at the ready. The deal with stone is that it’s strong but brittle—don’t bend, like a couple of directors I’ve worked with. So instead of being flexible, and absorbing the shock of say, a new idea, or a bump in the road, they break into a million pieces.

With stone, to avoid this, you transport it on edge, strapped to an A-frame. Come to think of it, that may be advisable with respect to the aforementioned directors. Hmmmm.

The longest piece was 5 feet long and really heavy. Tony almost dropped it a half dozen times, and he plays hockey! I, on the other hand, am skinny but scrappy and strong.



They partially cut out the sink hole and now I have to figure out how to go about completing the job. They do this because it helps to strengthen the piece while it is being transported. Once it is installed, they take a grinder and complete the cut. So far my feeble attempts have kicked up tons of dust but have done very little damage to the remaining granite holding the nasty sink cut-out in place. Tomorrow my goal is to accomplish this task and to install the sink and faucet!!

The downs of the last few weeks I won’t go into, but the latest up is that my wife just booked a very nice acting job that will occupy her for the first four months of next year. She is to replace Kathleen Chalfant as Miss Havisham. Ok, not actually replace directly, I’ve been implored to make clear. Kathleen Chalfant played the role in the NYC incarnation of the play as it premiered before hitting the road as all Theatreworks productions do. So several tiers of possible Chalfant replacements were (probably) not interested in the touring schedule. That said, there was a legitimate city wide selection process, rigorous in nature, and yours truly (not me, the pretty one) landed on top.

In the next two weeks I will be cleaning up the mess from the remodeling, hiding the tools in the basement, and both the Mrs. and I will be trodding the boards once again. What’s left of the remodel will be picked up in mid Feb and finished by the end of March. Forgive me if the blog finds it’s way into the rehearsal process and I bore you with an-actor-prepares!

6 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger JMW said...

I'd like the idea of seeing how an actor prepares on the blog. I trust that you're hooked enough that you realize the blog is now a beast that must live on after the remodeling!!

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't quite make out the color in the photo. Which of the granite choices was the winner in your selection process.
What is the name of the play that the lovely Miss Leigh will perform?

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great news for leigh. if this spate of work keeps up, you guys might have to quit your day jobs. congratulations.

it'll be interesting to see how the blog morphs into an account of rehearsals. i've wondered about the decorum of a rehearsal blog--wondered how much one reports. a director's blog i might have written:

what an odd day at rehearsal. i really don't understand fox. this afternoon i made what seemed to me a perfectly reasonable request. he just stopped in his tracks and said, "listen, buddy--let's go outside to my truck and i'll give you a ride on my a-frame." i'm afraid he's gone 'round the bend. this'll bear watching.

bw

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you found time away from
the work load to enjoy your
birthday. Many happy returns!

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow: love the choice of granite. Glad you went with darker instead of lighter. Very classy, indeed. So excited to see the finished product.... Meanwhile, looking forward to resuming our most coveted roles: audience members and Williams/Fox groupies!!! Can't wait to see the NY performance of Great Expectations AND the Harrisburg edition of I am My Own Wife. You guys are the coolest. And by the way, you're doing a fabulous job of drawing acting/remodeling parallels. Start inundating HGTV with blog-links, wouldja????

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Fox said...

I must commend you all for hanging in during the fallow days. Your comments are rich, fertile, and bound to blossom.

Oh my God. I'm lost in the garden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home