An Actor Repairs

Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Tools Of The Trade

When I was eighteen years old and about to leave home for college, my mother gave me several care packages. The contents of these packages consisted mostly of supplies that a young man might be expected not to have amassed during his growing years. I have forgotten all but this.



It is a travel iron that has been with me since. I can say with absolute certainty that it has never, ever touched the cuff nor collar of any shirt of mine. It has however remained in my possession and now counts itself as one of my oldest tools. It’s home is the big rolling tool-box that goes to the more involved work sites, and its job is to melt the glue on edge tape. It performs marvelously and has done so since that day, many decades ago, when I opened its case, realized what it was and said, “thanks, mom”.

3 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm following all this, but check me. You're building a stage set for a play that takes place in a room kind of like your kitchen. You're using various tricks to make the fake kitchen look like a real one--sometimes even iron-on patches, like for blue jeans.

I think some of your readers got confused the other day when you stopped working on the stage set long enough to help friends who were building a doll house and who were having trouble getting the model kitchen finished. When you got the doll house squared up you returned to work on the stage set and did some really nice painting to make it look like there was a fancy light fixture in the ceiling.

This has seemed pretty clear to me all along. Maybe this summary will help others who might have gotten lost in all the technical jargon.

Will there be sound effects for when the muslin closet doors are supposed to slam shut like real wooden ones?

bw

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Fox said...

bw,

as always, you have seen through all my artifice and obfuscation into my very being. I’m a two dimensional fake-meister. I hope you’re satisfied.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome, I am sure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home