An Actor Repairs

Monday, October 16, 2006

I Like To Work Alone

My favorite co-worker is WNYC. Other than that, I prefer to work alone. Sometimes, when Leigh dons her overalls and takes up a task, I momentarily re-think my preference. In general though, I prefer to work alone.



It’s odd then that I did my first one person show just this past spring. The show, I Am My Own Wife, was received fairly well by audiences but, more to the point, it was the first time I was on stage alone. Sure, I had the guidance of a very talented director and the good work of designers and stage managers and operators and generous producers but it was the first time I would show up at half-hour, enter the dressing room and be alone. I would dress, prepare, walk to the stage and wait--alone. I would change costume at intermission, go back to the stage and wait—alone. I would take the curtain call, thanking the audience, then descend to the dressing room, change into my street clothes, and walk to a restaurant where I would have a celebratory drink—alone.

I wouldn’t want to do that forever because, truth be told, I enjoy the experience of collaboration, at least in the theatre. But there has never been a theatrical experience that has brought me up against my own limitations more keenly than that solo journey. Just as standing at a workbench, trying to cut a perfect dove-tail joint leaves you face to face with the measure of your ability.

The meaning of life resides somewhere in this region. Improvement. Self-improvement. Betterment. Challenge. Growth. Understanding. Wisdom. Knowledge. Enlightenment.

Somewhere in there is the answer. So let's continue to look for challenges.

5 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your posting on working alone moves me to pose a question i've wondered about since seeing your fine version of i am my own wife.

given your declared interests in solitary pursuits, acting, and writing, do you have any interest in preparing your own hand-crafted solo play? not to the exclusion of traditional collaborative work but in addition to it.

bw

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What exactly is my baby girl doing to that
radiator?

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me, Mr. Unappreciated Sef", but I am told you did quite a lot better that just being "fairly well received" in that play. A large part of humility is accepting both your capabilities and your weakness. Step up to the plate, my son!
CMF

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Fox said...

My wife was "addressing" the radiator. Apparently, it had insulted her by spitting and hissing. It was therefore wrestled to the ground and scraped.

My dear friend anonymous wonders whether I have imagined crafting a solo play. Yes, if I had a decent idea. I do have an idea for a two hander that has been with me for years. Trouble is, it's an idea without a sentance. Have never been able to begin having these folks talk to each other.

This blog needs to seem a little less "family-centric" I feel like I did when I came home with poems to share. But keep reading!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger JMW said...

I don't know about "betterment" and "enlightenment" and stuff, but I'm all for celebratory drinking alone. (Hiccup.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home