An Actor Repairs

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Chuck and I go round and round

I recently wrote to my Senator, Mr. Chuck Schumer complaining about his decision to oppose the Iran Deal the Obama administration is advocating. He sent back a form email. And so it gave me another opportunity to exercise my self in the democratic process.


Thank you for the response you provided summarizing your reasoning behind your opposition of the Iran Deal. Thankfully the numbers have secured the opposite position. Good for America, good for the middle east. I appreciate your thoughtfulness but was disappointed in the fact that it all seemed to rest, as you stated, on your belief that Iran would never change. I just find that logically below the grade of a Senator. At any rate, I doubt you are terribly happy with the company you keep in this decision, Dick Cheney coming out loudly in your camp. I would urge you, because you are a very effective Senator otherwise, to recuse yourself in matters concerning Israel. I believe you cannot see clear-eyed when the pressures of that constituency come to bear.


Dear Mr. Fox:
     Thank you for writing to express your support for the Iran nuclear deal. After the deal was announced I spent three weeks carefully studying the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, reading and re-reading the agreement and its annexes, questioning dozens of proponents and opponents, and seeking answers to questions that go beyond the text of the agreement that will have real consequences and must be considered.
     Advocates on both sides have strong cases for their point of view that cannot simply be dismissed. This has made evaluating the agreement a difficult and deliberate endeavor, and after deep study, careful thought and considerable soul-searching, I have decided to oppose the agreement.
     I oppose the agreement, not because I believe war is a viable or desirable option - in fact, I have urged a return to the bargaining table - but because I believe Iran will not change, and under this agreement it will be able to achieve its dual goals of eliminating sanctions while ultimately retaining its nuclear and non-nuclear power.
     I know this deal has sparked a great deal of passion and I greatly appreciate you contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of further assistance on this, or any other matter.
 
Sincerely,
 
Charles E. Schumer
United States Senator



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home